RIP 95 XIL

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

JKF18

RIP 95 XIL

Post by JKF18 »

... or so it seems. The shuffling of the business partners and family members in Parkersburg has resulted in what seems like a pretty big clue in at least one major format flip. Or at least a swap. WGGE and WXIL have swapped call letters on 99.1 and 95.1 respectively. This would mean the 95.1 frequency will no longer be some form of contemporary music since it signed on in 1975. But I could be wrong.

This also puts Froggy and US 107 in a battle for country listeners. Personally I would have brought 95 XIL completely back as a mainstream CHR with at least local (or 7mm Voicetracking) in all dayparts. I see 102.1 The River as much more vulnerable in its plug and play attempt at CHR than the IHR plug and play country format on US 107.

Nothing so far on Willie, The Bear, Z106. WVNT is almost certainly gone as 7mm never does spoken word formats even on AM. The market is saturated in oldies, variety hits, a/c, with the Seven Ranges and IHR stations. However this is a company that runs a simulcast of its country powerhouse Froggy 95 on an AM/FM translator smack dab in the middle of the city grade contour in Somerset, PA. 8O
JKF18

Re: RIP 95 XIL

Post by JKF18 »

.... and on their written attachment for the call sign swap they have it incorrectly listed as WXIL AM as the call sign swap. Again, just my personal opinion but I think this company has too many frequencies and too little ideas or control.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

The smaller the market, the more important the heritage. This is a dumb move ejecting that much brand awareness.
news89

Post by news89 »

As of 6/26 the WVNT calls on AM 1230 will be dropped and change to WPKB. Same date as of the WXIL&WGGE call exchange.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.